Pre-engineering at Edgewood

Students who are interested in a career in engineering can start their academic career at Edgewood with a strong foundation in math and science. Students then have several options for preparing for engineering related careers. For more information, click on the links below:

Pre-engineering Concentrations at Edgewood

Students at Edgewood have the option of choosing a Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics major with a Pre-Engineering Concentration. The required core courses for the pre-engineering program are:

  • CHEM 120 S General Chemistry
  • CHEM 121 S General Chemistry II
  • MATH 231 M Calculus I
  • MATH 232 M Calculus II
  • MATH 233 M Calculus III
  • PHYS 201 S College Physics I
  • PHYS 202 S College Physics II
  • PHYS 350 I Scientific Computing

Upper level courses are chosen from physics, chemistry, and/or mathematics based on your major and your engineering interested. You should choose a major that helps you prepare for whichever field of engineering you are most interested in:

Edgewood Major Related Engineering Programs
Physics with Pre-Engineering Concentration Mechanical Engineering
Electrical/Computer Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Civil Engineering
Chemistry with Pre-Engineering Concentration Biomedical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Materials Science
Mathematics with Pre-Engineering Concentration Industrial Engineering
Computer Engineering
Nuclear Engineering

First year students should start by taking Chemistry 120 and Calculus (Math 231) in the fall semester at Edgewood. In the spring semester, pre-engineering students should plan to take Physics 201, and continue with Chemistry 121 and Calculus 2. In addition to these majors, many students also choose to do a minor in physics, chemistry, geoscience, biology, or mathematics. See the catalog for additional information on requirements for the pre-engineering majors.

AP Course Credit

Placement and/or credit for AP Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry may be available. Contact your advisor for details.


  • If you earned a 4 or a 5 on one or both of the AP Physics C exams, you may place out of Physics 201 (Mechanics) or 202 (Electromagnetism).
  • If you took to AP Physics B exam, you must start with Physics 201 regardless of score.
  • If you scored a 4 on the AP Chem exam, you can start with CHEM 121. If you scored a 5, you can place out of CHEM 120 and CHEM 121.

Graduate (Masters or PhD) Training in Engineering


  • Complete an Edgewood degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics with a Pre-engineering concentration. Work with your advisor to ensure that you have the pre-requisite courses needed for graduate school in engineering. Requirements vary by program.
  • Supplement your Edgewood coursework by taking engineering classes at UW-Madison through the Collaborative Program. Students may take one course per semester at UW-Madison. Tuition is covered by your Edgewood tuition, so scholarships still apply. These courses can be transferred to Edgewood to count as elective credits towards the major.
  • Candidates with degrees in Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics (not to mention liberal arts), are strong candidates for engineering graduate school by bringing a different set of skills than students who receive training solely in engineering. This is an advantage for you.
  • Most master’s degrees are two year programs. PhD programs average 4-7 years. Many graduate programs have funding for students to work as teaching assistants (TA) or research assistants (RA), including covering tuition.
  • If you are interested in graduate programs, you will apply during your senior year at Edgewood. Most applications are due in January and February. You will also need to take the GRE for graduate school admission.
  • Students interested in graduate programs should plan to do either research or an internship in the summer months.


Additional Technical Training


  • Madison College (and other technical colleges in the state) offer technical certificate and associate’s degree programs in many engineering fields. These technical certificates can supplement your BS degree from Edgewood and give you the credentials you need to find a job. Employers like the combination of a BS from a liberal arts institution, and more technical skills.
  • Courses can be taken at Madison College and transferred in to complete your Edgewood degree.
  • Engineering-related programs available at Madison College include:


Transfer to an Undergraduate Engineering Program


  • Transfer to UW-Madison College of Engineering (or another university) after two years at Edgewood.
  • Starting at Edgewood gives you a good foundation in the basics of physics, chemistry, and mathematics. You will have smaller class sizes, and more opportunities for hands-on learning that will prepare you to take advanced coursework in the engineering school of your choice.
  • UW-Madison will only admit transfer students with less than 80 credit hours. This means you can spend a maximum of five semesters at Edgewood (assuming a normal course load of 15 credits). Officially the GPA required for transfer is 2.5, but most admitted students have GPAs above 3.0.
  • Note: UW-Madison has suspended all dual degree programs statewide until further notice.


Contact Louise Stracener for questions on the pre-engineering majors or dual degree program.